Kansas City Child Support Lawyer
Establishing & Modifying Child Support Agreements
Searching for a lawyer for a child support case in Kansas City, MO? A child support order is often issued along with a divorce judgment or a paternity judgment if you are the non-custodial parent of this child. It is important that you adhere to this judgment and make these payments on time. This order will state when, how often, and how much you will be required to pay in support. Whether you are asked to support a child, or you need financial help from the other parent, you should get in touch with a Kansas City divorce lawyer from The Reynolds Law Firm, LLC. Our firm can help walk you through the process and make sure that your rights are being defended.
How is child support determined?
The court will assign financial obligation to each parent depending on their income and how much time they are responsible for the child. In its assessment of child support obligations, the court might consider the following factors:
- Income: this includes wages, disability payments, worker's compensation, social security benefits, veteran benefits, pension, retirement benefits, and other forms of revenue.
- Quality of life before the split: if your child had a high standard of living before the split, then the parent who is providing the child support may be held to that standard.
- Needs of the child: if your child has any special needs, like a mental or physical disability, then that may be factored in to your obligation.
- Expenses of child-rearing: since child expenses vary from city to city, you may be required to pay more if your child lives in an expensive area.
- Income of custodial parent: if the other parent has access to other financial help or has a well-paying job, then you could be obligated to pay less money.
It is important to remember that there are many circumstances that change throughout the course of a person's life. You may receive a promotion and higher salary or you may be laid off from your job and consequently lose your income. These circumstances can be taken into consideration for the purpose of obtaining a modification to your current support payments. If you are the custodial parent and you need additional support, then you may be able to present these requirements to the court in order to obtain the modification that you need. Speak with a divorce attorney from out firm today about modifying your child support agreement.
Contact Our Kansas City Divorce & Family Law Firm
Need an attorney for a child support case in Kansas City? It is important that you have skilled representation on your side in order to pursue the support that you need. Whether you are facing divorce, or your circumstances have changed and you need a modification, our firm can provide you with the legal assistance that you need in order to effectively pursue the circumstances you desire. We have more than 40 years of combined experience in successfully representing those who are facing various family law matters. We always provide you with attentive, professional, and courteous service to make sure that you have the best experience possible, in light of this difficult time.
Let us work for your rightful compensation! Contact a Kansas City divorce lawyer from our firm as soon as possible.